Friday, November 25, 2011

For the frugal fashionistas

I interned for a parenting magazine during college for two semesters. The editor of the magazine is a kind woman who I was honored to get to know. On my last day she took me out to eat.

While we were out she complimented the way I dressed and called it "classy." I remember because my college adviser had just mentioned a few weeks prior that because I dress professionally, people will take me more seriously.

I remember laughing and telling her that both shirts I had on were shirts I've owned for at least three years.

She asked me if I'm frugal.

Why, yes, yes I am.

It's something I'm quite proud of actually, just something I don't refer to myself as too often. I rarely get rid of clothing because I wear it for years. I layer. A lot.

I wear shirts under shirts, sweaters over shirts, belts to make shirts look different ... there are so many ways to make the same piece of clothing look completely different.

Today, for example, I'm wearing a long tank top that and a three-quarter T-shirt I've had for years. Over both shirts, for the first time, I'm wearing a small sweater. The sweater and tank top are black while the shirt is white, the contrast works perfectly.

When I buy new clothes, I buy something that I know will last me for a long time. When solid-colored long-sleeve shirts or tank tops go on sale I leap! They can be used for almost every outfit.

If you wear a black shirt under a sweater one week, then wear a blue shirt under the same sweater the next week, people are going to think it's new. Colors are fun to play with, so don't be afraid to buy two of the same shirts in different colors! Especially if it's a good deal!

Stay frugal, fashionistas!

No comments:

Post a Comment